Poet Laureate Cultural Arts Advisory Committee Vacancy
The City of Winter Haven is seeking applications from qualified persons interested in serving as the City’s Poet Laureate. This designation is a non-paid, volunteer capacity appointed by the City Commission in consideration of the recommendation by the Cultural Arts Advisory Committee (CAAC).
The Poet Laureate will serve a term of about three years, ending in 2020. Responsibilities of the role include:
- Composing poems to celebrate City events including but not limited to events, celebrations, ground-breakings, facility dedications, and ceremonies.
- Serving as an ambassador and advocate for poetry on the City’s behalf throughout the year, with particular emphasis during National Poetry Month (April).
- Acting in an official Poet Laureate capacity for area events and programs of a literary or arts-based nature.
Minimum qualifications required for the position of Poet Laureate include:
- Must be a current resident within the utility service area of Winter Haven
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have had original works published
- Must be able to demonstrate a contribution to poetry at the local, state, and/or national level
Anyone interested in filling the position must complete and submit an official application along with three letters of support, sample of original work and professional vitae or resume to the City Clerk’s Office prior to December 1, 2017. Applications may be obtained from:
- City’s Website: mywinterhaven.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 863-291-5627
- In Person: City Clerk’s Office, City Hall, 451 Third Street NW, Winter Haven
All applications will be reviewed by the Cultural Arts Advisory Committee, with an official recommendation being presented to the City Commission.
For more information, call Travis W. Edwards, Parks, Recreation & Culture Director at email@example.com