Looking for a Job?
At the City of Winter Haven,
you’ll find more than a job.
You’ll find a career.
Do you want to help people? To make your community better? Regardless of title or responsibilities, those two things are central to every employee’s work with the City of Winter Haven. Our mission is to enrich lifestyle through exceptional customer service. Every employee’s top focus is serving the citizens of Winter Haven every day. Joining our team means you’ll work alongside other dedicated teammates and, together, you will invest your efforts into bettering the Winter Haven community.
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.
- Integrity / Respect
- Financial Stewardship
- Exceptional Service
Care for Employees
City of Winter Haven employees invest in our citizens and community daily, and we, as a City, invest in our employees. Here you will receive a competitive wage, a strong benefits package, numerous educational and advancement opportunities, and a welcoming atmosphere.
Annual Pay Adjustments. Through our Step for Performance Pay Plan employees who receive a satisfactory or higher rating on their annual evaluation will receive a pay increase each year on their anniversary date.
Paid Time Off. Work and life balance is important. All full time employees receive three types of paid time off.
- 12 Paid Holidays to celebrate with family and friends.
- 12 Paid Vacation Days to relax, recharge and refresh. This time begins accruing on day one of employment. Employees with five plus years of service will earn additional paid time off.
- 12 Paid Sick Days to recover, care for family, or attend medical appointments. Three of these days may be taken as personal days for any reason. This time begins accruing on day one of employment.
- Firefighters receive 13 Kelley Days and earn120 hours of vacation, 144 hours of sick leave and 12 paid holidays per year.
Health & Dental Insurance. The co-sponsored plans are designed to promote self care and provide coverage in the event of illness or injury for employees and their eligible dependents.
Life Insurance (AD&D). All regular full-time employees receive a $10,000 life and accidental death and dismemberment policy paid for by the City, with the option to purchase additional coverage at very affordable rates.
Retirement Plan. Every regular full-time employee is enrolled in a great retirement plan preparing for future quality of life after your career.
- 401(a) Plan. General employees are enrolled in our 401(a) plan to build savings for retirement.
- Pension Plan. This defined benefit plan is available to Sworn Police Officers and Firefighters.
Tuition & Book Reimbursement. Employees who want to finish a degree, pursue a graduate degree, or earn a certification, obtain their CDL license, or pursue another form of professional training are able to receive up-front funding or reimbursement to cover the cost of their education.
Additional Opportunities for Employee Engagement
In addition to the benefits package, the City team is cared for in a variety of fun, engaging, and exciting ways throughout the year.
- Bright Ideas Program. This program focuses on promoting innovation from all levels of the organization. Ideas that may save the City money, better serve our customers, or otherwise improve service can be submitted by any employee. If an idea is implemented, that employee is eligible for a bonus ranging from $100 to $3,000.
- Diversity and Inclusion Team. This team of employees from across departments meets monthly serve as ambassadors to their departments and divisions as well as plan City-wide events promoting understanding, education, and opportunities to create a a greater sense of belonging in the workplace.
- Professional & Personal Development Classes. The Human Resource Department provides ongoing classes in a variety of topics. Learn about customer service, join a book club, participate in a yoga session, or come to a coloring class to team-build and destress! There’s something for everyone.
- Leadership Program at Polk State. The City has partnered with Polk State College to create a leadership development class. Participants from across departments form a cohort and complete formal coursework and projects. They are honored at a graduation ceremony and reception upon completion of the program.
- Health Fair. Annually employees and insured retirees can participate in a health fair which consists of blood work and results, flu shots, health and safety advice, vendors to share their literature for a healthier lifestyle, and some fun activities.
- Employee Appreciation Events. These events offer all employees an opportunity to enjoy a meal or activity, creating an environment to socialize with coworkers and those in other departments and relax. Past events have included a summer picnic on the lake with water activities, BBQs, and a festive holiday party.
- Mentorship & Career Counseling. The City leadership team is dedicated to mentoring employees, providing opportunities for advancement, and helping everyone grow and enjoy a thriving career within our workforce. Additionally, the Human Resource department provides career counseling to all employees.
- Key Results Area (KRA) Teams. These teams are made up of City employees and are tasked with shaping the future of the City in areas such as employee feedback, process improvement and innovation, training development and succession planning, recruitment and retention, and employee engagement.
How to Apply
- Click the Current Job Opening button to review our current openings. Don’t see something that fits? Sign up to receive notices when new jobs are posted!
- Fill out the appropriate application for the position you’re interested in. Be sure you have your driver’s license, social security, contact information, and previous work history handy to complete the application.
- Submit the application before the job close date one of three ways:
- Submit it online.
- Email it to email@example.com
- Bring it to our HR offices at 500 Third Street N.W., Winter Haven, FL 33881
- The human resources team will confirm receipt of your application.
- If selected for an interview, a member of our team will reach out to schedule the interview.
- If selected for the position, all offers are contingent on successfully completing a background check. You will also complete a physical. The human resources team will provide you with detailed information on how to complete these steps. The City of Winter Haven covers the cost of these steps.
- After all requirements above are met, we will contact you with your start date and onboarding information.
- Within the first few months of hire, you will attend Welcome to Winter Haven Day. This is an event put on by Human Resources that serves as an interactive orientation and training day.
Hear from our employees:
- David Nicholson Testimonial
- Hope Abercrombie Video Testimonial
- Mike Shuwerk Testimonial
- Hire to Retire
Get to Know Winter Haven
With a history in citrus, lakes, and Americana rock & roll, the Winter Haven, Florida experience is a chorus of modern lifestyle possibilities in harmony with our roots. Winter Haven is where affordable lake living is a reality, and water play is a natural requirement. It’s a place where there’s a concert on every corner and family excitement in every park. It’s that classic small town that chooses to differentiate itself with an understated cool vibe. Arts and culture, playful fun, music fusion, affordable homes, a craft brewery, and local eateries are just a sampling of daily life. And let’s not forget about Winter Haven’s hometown connection to family-friendly LEGOLAND Florida Resort just down the block from the City core.
Winter Haven continues to experience steady, quality growth as it transforms into a distinctively unique City, embracing the values and needs of its residents. Partnerships and a cooperative spirit make Winter Haven an attractive City for new businesses and entrepreneurs. The City’s progress and success are owned by each of its residents, and planning for the future can never stop. Winter Haven is an exceptional destination offering all of life’s desires within its boundaries. The City of Winter Haven staff looks forward to serving its residents, businesses and visitors as we all enjoy Winter Haven’s special lifestyle.
The City of Winter Haven operates under a Council-Manager form of Government. Five elected City Commissioners are responsible for City policy. The City Manager, who reports to the Commission, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of nearly 600 employees.
Winter Haven is a full-service City, providing services in the areas of Police, Fire, Water & Sewer Utilities, Solid Waste, Roads & Drainage, Building Permitting and Inspections, Planning, Parks & Recreation, Libraries, Cemeteries, and multiple internal support functions. The current population is 49,219; however, the greater service area is estimated at 83,000.
Diversity and Inclusion
The City recognizes, embraces and celebrates the diversity of our great community and strives to include these unique voices, ideas and cultures in all aspects of City services.