- Job Title: ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITY AND COMMUNITY INVESTMENT
- Category: Full-Time
- Application Closing Date: 3/31/23, 5:00 p.m.
- Application: Click Here
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Hiring Range: $74,006 – $94,203
- Annual Pay Adjustments
- 12 Paid Holidays
- 12 Paid Vacation Days
- 12 Paid Sick Days
- Health/Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401(a) Retirement Plan
- Tuition and Book Reimbursement for Continued Education, Certifications, and Training
GET TO KNOW WINTER HAVEN
With a history in citrus, lakes, and Americana rock & roll, the Winter Haven, Florida experience is a chorus of modern lifestyle possibilities in harmony with our roots. Winter Haven is where affordable lake living is a reality, and water play is a natural requirement. It’s a place where there’s a concert on every corner and family excitement in every park. It’s a town that chooses to differentiate itself with an understated cool vibe. Arts and culture, playful fun, music fusion, affordable homes, a craft brewery, and local eateries are just a sampling of daily life. And let’s not forget about Winter Haven’s hometown connection to family-friendly LEGOLAND Florida Resort just down the block from the City core.
Winter Haven continues to experience steady, quality growth as it transforms into a distinctively unique City, embracing the values and needs of its residents. Partnerships and a cooperative spirit make Winter Haven an attractive City for new businesses and entrepreneurs. The City’s progress and success are owned by each of its residents, and planning for the future can never stop. Winter Haven is an exceptional destination offering all of life’s desires within its boundaries. The City of Winter Haven staff looks forward to serving its residents, businesses and visitors as we all enjoy Winter Haven’s special lifestyle.
The City of Winter Haven operates under a Council-Manager form of Government. Five elected City Commissioners are responsible for City policy. The City Manager, who reports to the Commission, is responsible for the day-to-day operations of 600+ employees.
Winter Haven is a full-service City, providing services in the areas of Police, Fire, Water & Sewer Utilities, Solid Waste, Roads & Drainage, Building Permitting and Inspections, Planning, Parks & Recreation, Libraries, Cemeteries, and multiple internal support functions. The current population is 53,331; however, the greater service area is estimated at 83,000.
The City recognizes, embraces and celebrates the diversity of our great community and strives to include these unique voices, ideas and cultures in all aspects of City services.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for an Assistant Director for the Economic Opportunity and Community Investment Department. This department includes Planning, Building & Permitting, Engineering Services, CRA & Neighborhoods, and Affordable Housing Divisions. The Assistant Director will be responsible for administrative, professional and technical work in support of all divisions.
The Assistant Director will take the lead on a variety of initiatives and efforts. This could include duties in areas of research, data collection, data analysis, special studies and plans, customer service, problem solving, internal and external communication, economic development coordination, and administrative assistance.
A command of planning and development principals, economic development, and local government is required. Strong written and verbal communication skills are critical. The Assistant Director will prepare reports, letters, and memoranda for both internal and external audiences. They will be expected to deliver presentations in a variety of settings, including City Commission, Planning Commission, and CRA meetings. They will regularly coordinate and communicate with Division Managers and Department Directors throughout the City.
Based upon experience and qualifications, the Assistant Director may also serve as the CRA Manager. The Assistant Director may be called upon to serve as a liaison to various public agencies, boards and committees, land developers, consultants, private organizations, non-profits, and citizen groups. They will work collaboratively with City partners including the Winter Haven Economic Development Council, Main Street Winter Haven, and the Winter Haven Chamber of Commerce.
This is a key leadership role within the City, so the Assistant Director will need to understand and support the Mission, Vision, and Core Values of the City; the mission of the Department; Departmental and City procedures; the City’s Comprehensive Plan; and other guiding documents and work. They will implement long- and short-term strategies to promote development and redevelopment consistent with these guiding documents. The Assistant Director will assist with the development and oversight of the annual Departmental budget.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, or related field.
- Five to ten years experience in public planning, public administration, development or redevelopment, economic development, CRA management, or similarly related field.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Must have significant knowledge of planning principles, Florida’s growth management laws, land development and construction practices, economic development practices, and community redevelopment. Knowledge of recent trends and current literature as it applies to urban planning, building, affordable housing, redevelopment, and economic development is highly desirable.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments with a variety of stakeholders and participants.
- Ability to study, analyze, and present in written and oral. Ability to present programs and ideas clearly and concisely. Ability to speak to public groups and civic organizations. Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy while interacting with diverse issues and individuals.
- Must be a skilled leader, team player, and effective communicator utilizing sound judgment and good decision making skills. Must possess the ability and willingness to interact in an open, positive, participatory manner incorporating the interests of all involved, while ensuring City and Departmental goals and objectives are sustained.
- Must have, or be willing to acquire, a valid Florida driver’s license and a good driving record as as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
PHYSICAL / ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS:
- Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit MyWinterHaven.com/Careers/ to complete our application. Complete the application and submit, along with a cover letter and resume, to HumanResources@MyWinterHaven.com by March 31, 2023.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.