- Job Title: WATER PLANT OPERATOR TRAINEE, C, B, OR A
- Category: Full-Time
- Application Closing Date: 6/12/23, 5:00 p.m.
- Application: Click Here
Do you care about a sustainable environment and serving your community? We have a rewarding career for you, while you become licensed water treatment operator.
Salary and Benefits:
- $14.09 – $20.81 Per Hour Minimum, Depending on License Held
- Annual Step for Performance Pay Plan
- 12 Paid Holidays Per Year
- 12 Vacation Days Minimum, Earned Per Year
- 12 Sick Days Earned Per Year
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance Benefits
- 401(a) Retirement Plan and Social Security Coverage
- Flexible Education, Training, and Development Opportunities
- Education/Tuition Assistance Program
- Employee Assistance Program – to Include Mental Health Assistance/Services
Essential Job Functions:
Functions in a trainee capacity by assisting licensed operators in all duties relating to the operation and maintenance of water supply and treatment facilities. Performs manual and mechanical tasks relating to the daily operations; monitors SCADA systems and control panels; physically adjusts valves and gates to adjust flow. Maintains written operational records; records meter and gauge readings; performs basic arithmetic calculations and interprets results. Assists with water quality sampling of groundwater wells, water treatment facilities, and the water distribution systems. Cleans and performs routine maintenance and repair of piping, machinery, and equipment. Safely operates trucks on a weekly basis. Performs general janitorial and groundskeeping functions, including sweeping and mopping floors and decks, mowing, trimming shrubbery, and edging driveway and sidewalks. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive listing of essential job functions; the performance of other essential functions may be required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the practices, methods, materials, and tools utilized in the operation, repair, and maintenance of water treatment machinery and equipment.
- Sufficient knowledge of basic electricity to effect minor repairs and adjustments.
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English; perform basic arithmetic calculations; descend and ascend ladders and stairs to obtain access to effect necessary repairs; withstand occupancy in confined spaces; non-claustrophobic; work with and around chemicals and wear personal protective equipment when necessary; and work without direct supervision.
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to perform strenuous laboring tasks under varying weather conditions.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Possession of a Florida Class “C”, “B”, or “A” certificate for water treatment plant operators preferred.
- Trainee must obtain “C” certificate within a time period specified by the division. If applicant possesses a Class “C”, “B”, or “A” certification, minimum starting pay would be adjusted accordingly.
- An equivalent combination of training and experience that is determined to be directly related to the foregoing specific requirements may be substituted.
- Possession of a valid Florida drivers’ license and a good driving record as determined by the City of Winter Haven.
- Must be able to work an eight hour rotating work schedule (shift work) to include weekends and holidays.
- Absence of non-prescribed controlled substances in the applicant’s system as verified by a laboratory approved by the City of Winter Haven.
Physical / Environmental Factors:
- Must have the physical ability, strength, and flexibility to perform the job functions in the work environment.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE
Enriching lifestyle through exceptional service.