Burn Ban in City of Winter Haven
The City Commission implemented Resolution R-20-28 on April 13, 2020 regarding a burn ban within the City limits of Winter Haven due to the dry conditions. When the ban has been lifted, this information will be updated.
You can read the resolution here.
Additional information can be found on the following websites:
Home Fire Safety
The Winter Haven Fire Department cannot emphasis the importance of home Fire Safety enough. More people die in home fires every year then in any other fire environment including commercial fires. Please make sure you always have a working smoke detector in your home,
- About 70% of civilian fire fatalities occur in residential structures.
- About half of the civilian fire fatalities occur between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., when most residents are sleeping.
- More than half of the fire deaths (55%) occurred in bedrooms even though only about 7% of the fires started in the bedroom.
- On average, 9 people everyday die due to fire in the United States.
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries and is tied for the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
- Unattended cooking is the leading factor contributing to these fires. Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
- More than half of all cooking fire injuries occurred when people tried to fight the fire themselves. (NFPA)
Below are links to any information you need on Fire Safety in the Home.
- Smoke Alarms
- Cooking Fire Safety
- Carbon Monoxide Check List
- Electrical Fire Safety
- Fire Escape Plan
- High-Rise Fire Safety
- Home Fire Safety Check List
Post-Fire Check List
- Recovering After a Fire
- Those Who Require Extra Help
- Emotional Recovery
- Insurance Check List
- Cleaning Up After a Fire
Vacation Fire Safety
Video Safety Training
Outdoor and Recreational Fires
- The City Of Winter Haven along with the Fire Marshall’s Office has a no burn policy in the city.
- The City of Winter Haven operates in accordance with Florida Administrative Code and Winter Haven Code-City Ordinance for allowing the collection of such items by waste collection.
- Winter Haven Code Sec. 14-9 It shall be unlawful to burn refuse or garbage.