The City Clerk is the official custodian of all records, including, but not limited to, official action of the City Commission, and is responsible for all current and archival public documents.
Responsibilities of the City Clerk
Attends, records and transcribes proceedings of all City Commission meetings; maintains records of all rules, ordinances and resolutions of the City Commission; custodian of the city seal with authority to execute and emboss documents to authenticate validity of City records; qualifying officer for candidates who wish to campaign for office of City Commissioner; conducts all municipal elections; serves as financial disclosure coordinator with the State of Florida Commission on Ethics; legal advertising for the City; recording of official documents with appropriate agencies; schedules, coordinates and plans City Commission special events; provides general administrative/clerical assistance to the City Commission.
Frequently Requested Phone Numbers/Resources
This office is dedicated to serving the community in a professional, ethical, impartial and equitable manner. A municipal clerk performs activities prescribed by state and local laws.
Use the buttons below to access portals to all City Commission/Planning Commission/Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) meeting agendas, submit a public records request, track progress of your request, retrieve requested document(s), make a payment for record(s) and more. Get answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ’s).
City Clerk Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Where can I obtain a copy of a resolution, ordinance, minutes or other official documents? You may either use the “Submit a City Record Request” button above or contact the City Clerk’s Office at 863-291-5600 or visit us at 451 Third Street, NW, Winter Haven 33881.
- Where do I obtain information regarding a marriage license, divorce, criminal court, traffic ticket, or civil suit? Contact the Polk County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Comptroller at https://www.polkcountyclerk.net/ or 863-534-4000. The City of Winter Haven’s City Clerk’s Office is a separate governmental entity from the Polk County Clerk of the Circuit Court & Comptroller.
- How can I get information concerning property ownership or a listing of surrounding property owners? Contact the Polk County Property Appraiser at https://www.polkpa.org/ or 863-534-4777 (Main Office).
- Where can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate or a death certificate? Contact the Polk County Department of Health at https://polk.floridahealth.gov/ or 863-519-7900.
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Any request for information is considered a public record and your request may be made public. However, requests for public records may be made anonymously and are not required to be submitted in writing.
All correspondence and e-mail(s) sent to and from the City of Winter Haven, Florida, including e-mail addresses and content, are subject to the provisions of the Florida Public Records Law, Florida Statute Chapter 119, and may be subject to disclosure.
All municipal records, with the exception of exempt records identified by Florida Statutes 119.07, are public record and open for personal inspection by anyone. Access to public records is available during normal working hours – Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. “Reasonable” time, as it relates to time needed to retrieve records and/or complete a request for public record is not defined by Florida Statute. “Reasonable” response time will depend on the complexity of the request for public record, location of records and work schedule of staff needed to provide records.
Florida Statute 119.07(4) generally allows copy fees of 15 cents for one-sided copies and 20 cents for double-sided copies. Most requests for public records will be provided at no charge by paper or electronically. More detailed requests for public records may include charges authorized by state statute for copying, supplies, such as CDs or DVDs, postage, and extensive use of technology resources or extensive clerical and/or supervisory assistance needed to provide requested records. There is no charge for staff time of 30 minutes or less required to provide public records. All fees shall be paid prior to delivery of requested records.
The City’s Custodian of Public Records:
- Vanessa Castillo, BAS, MMC, City Clerk
863-291-5627; City Hall, 451 3rd St. NW, 33881
- LaTonya Harris, City Historian and Archivist / Deputy City Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org 863-291-5628; City Hall, 451 3rd St. NW, 33881
Custodian of Records for Police Matters:
Custodians of Records for City Pension Plans:
- Colleen “CJ” Scott, Finance Director, General Employees’ Plan
863-291-5667; 551 Third St. NW, 33881
- HYN Consulting, Firefighters’ and Police Officers’ Retirement Systems
727-559-7333; 801 W Bay Dr Suite 502, Largo, FL 33770
The information contained on here is intended to familiarize City Commission candidates, campaign treasurers, and residents with upcoming election information.
Per the City of Winter Haven Charter, elections for City Commission occur in odd-numbered years on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. (If a Run-Off election is needed, it would occur the first Tuesday in December.)
The City Clerk serves as the supervisor of elections for all City elections and is the official qualifying officer for candidates seeking elected office within the City of Winter Haven.
VOTER CITY LIMITS MAP
Click here: Voter City Limits Map
(*As of July 25, 2023)
Qualifications to become a candidate:
- U.S. citizen & resident of Florida
- Registered voter in Florida (you must be at least 18) & a registered voter in Polk County
- Reside in the City limits of Winter Haven at the time of qualifying
IMPORTANT 2023 ELECTION DATES:
Regular Election AND Special Election – Tuesday, November 7, 2023 (Polls open 7am-7pm)
Run-Off Election (If needed) – Tuesday, December 5, 2023 (Polls open 7am-7pm)
COMMISSION SEATS UP FOR ELECTION:
Seat No. 1 – Currently held by Commissioner Tracy Mercer
Seat No. 2 – Currently held by Mayor Pro Tem Nathaniel J. Birdsong, Jr.
Seat No. 3 – Currently held by Commissioner Brian Yates
Seat No. 5** – Was held by the late Commissioner James H. “J.P.” Powell (**Special Election for Seat No. 5 to fill the remaining unexpired term to 2025)
- Terms are 4 years
Began Monday, September 18, 2023 at NOON
Ended Friday, September 22, 2023 at NOON
QUALIFYING FEES FOR 2023 ELECTION:
The qualifying fee for the November 7, 2023 Election is $50.00 + $130.48 = $180.48 (Qualifying fee and 1% of the position’s annual salary.)
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT:
⇒ To be determined after the qualifying period
2023 Municipal Candidate Packets are ready and available in the City Clerk’s Office. An electronic version is also available. For information, please contact the City Clerk’s Office.
SAMPLE BALLOT WITH QUALIFIED CANDIDATES:
To be determined at a later date: 2023 Regular Election – Sample Ballot (ENGLISH & SPANISH)
POLLING & PRECINCT INFORMATION:
Coming Soon! 2023 Election – Precinct & Polling Locations (ENGLISH)
Coming Soon! 2023 Election – Precinct & Polling Locations (SPANISH)
Last Election (2021) Information:
LOGIC AND ACCURACY TEST:
The L & A Test will be held on (Date and time to be determined) at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center. The Public is welcome to attend.
70 Florida Citrus Blvd.
Winter Haven, Florida 33880
(NOTE: This L & A public notice is published by the Supervisor of Elections under their “Public Notices” section here: https://www.polkelections.com/)
Canvassing Board Members (consists of Commissioners not running for candidacy):
- Mayor Bradley T. Dantzler
- Mayor Pro Tem Nathaniel J. Birdsong, Jr. (TBD)
- Commissioner Brian Yates (TBD)
- Commissioner Tracy Mercer (TBD)
Canvassing Board Member present at L&A Test: To be determined
CANVASSING BOARD MEETINGS:
- Date and time to be determined: 2023 Regular Election – Public Notice – Canvassing Board Meeting – Clerk to Give Report (ENGLISH & SPANISH)
- Canvassing Board Meeting for City Clerk to give a report on vote by mail ballots requested, issued, and returned and request permission of the Canvassing Board to start processing the ballots determined valid – (Date and time TBD) at Winter Haven City Hall – John Fuller Auditorium.
- Date and time to be determined: 2023 Regular Election – Public Notice – Canvass Vote By Mail & Provisional Ballots (ENGLISH & SPANISH)
- Canvassing of Vote by Mail & Provisional Ballots – (Date and time to be determined) at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center.
- Date and time to be determined: 2023 Election – Public Notice – Certify Election Results and Random Precinct Selection (ENGLISH & SPANISH)
- Certify Election Results and Random Precinct Selection – (Date and time to be determined) at Winter Haven City Hall – John Fuller Auditorium.
- Date and time to be determined: 2023 Election – Public Notice – Post-Election Audit (ENGLISH & SPANISH)
- Post-Election Audit – (Date and time to be determined) at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center.
LINKS TO HELPFUL INFORMATION:
- Specific City of Winter Haven Election Information (Not available at this time)
- Polk County Supervisor of Elections
- Florida Commission on Ethics
- Florida Division of Elections
- City of Winter Haven Code of Ordinances
To register to vote, make changes to your voter registration, obtain due dates, and other information, please contact the Polk County Supervisor of Elections at 863-534-5888 or www.polkelections.gov. Printed applications are available at both Polk County Supervisor of Elections offices, City of Winter Haven City Hall, and at local post offices and libraries.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE TO INTERPRET FLORIDA STATUTES CONTAINED WITHIN FLORIDA LAW. FOR ANY INTERPRETATION OF THE LAW OR FOR A LEGAL OPINION, CONTACT THE FLORIDA DIVISION OF ELECTIONS AT (850) 245-6200.
Frequently Asked Questions and Resource Numbers
AID TO FAMILIES WITH DEPENDENT CHILDREN (AFDC), FOOD STAMPS, TEMPORARY ASSISTANCE FOR NEEDY FAMILIES (TANF) – Career Source Polk 863-508-1100 www.careersourcepolk.com
AIRPORT (Winter Haven Regional Airport) – Hangar Rental/Fuel 863-298-4551
AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY – 800-227-2345
AMERICAN LEGION POST 8 – 863-293-7029
AMERICAN RED CROSS – 147 Avenue A NW – 863-294-5941
AMTRAK – WINTER HAVEN STATION – 863-294-9203 or 800-872-7245 for scheduling
ANIMAL CONTROL (POLK COUNTY) – 863-577-1762
ARMORY BUILDING – 863-295-5131
BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) – 800-275-6614
BIRTH CERTIFICATES/VITAL STATISTICS (FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH) – 863-519-8446
BOYS & GIRLS CLUB – WINTER HAVEN – 863-967-1532
BUS SCHEDULES/ROUTES – PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
- Citrus Connection – 855-765-5287
- Paratransit – 855-765-5287
- Greyhound – 800-231-2222
CAREER SOURCE POLK – UNEMPLOYMENT – 863-508-1100 www.careersourcepolk.com
CLERK OF THE COURT (POLK COUNTY) WINTER HAVEN BRANCH – 3425 Lake Alfred Road 863-534-4000
DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES (DMV) SERVICE CENTER – 863-534-4700
- Bartow – 430 E. Main St
- Davenport – 2000 Deer Creek Commerce Lane
- Lake Wales – 658 E. State Rd 60
- Winter Haven (No Drivers Licenses) – 300 Avenue M NW
E-911 ADDRESSES – 863-534-5639
- Duke Energy – 800-700-8744
- TECO – Tampa Electric – 888-223-0800
FAMILY EMERGENCY (ASSISTANCE W/UTILITY BILLS) – 863-294-1939
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (FDOT) – 2740 State Road 60 W – 863-519-4300
- Surface condition @ crossings (not railroad) – State, County or City
FLORENCE VILLA COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CENTER (Nat Birdsong) – 863-299-3263
FLORIDA FISH AND WILDLIFE CONSERVATION (FWC) COMMISSION – 863-648-3200
GARDEN CENTER OF WINTER HAVEN – 715 Third St NW – 863-293-7638
- Central Florida Gas/Public Utilities – 800-427-7712
- TECO/Peoples Gas – 877-832-6747
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – 3550 Recker Hwy 863-292-2256
HEALTH DEPARTMENT – POLK COUNTY – 863-519-7910
- George C. Forsythe Hospice – 105 Arneson Av, Auburndale 863-297-1880
HOUSING AUTHORITY (FED/HUD) – 2653 Avenue C SW 863-294-7369
HUMANE SOCIETY OF POLK COUNTY – 3195 Dundee Road 863-324-5227
INFORMATION – 411
LAKE REGION LAKES MANAGEMENT – 863-293-1441
LEGAL AID – HEART OF FLORIDA LEGAL AID – 863-519-5663
MAIN STREET WINTER HAVEN – 863-295-9422 OR 863-258-3561
- President & CEO – Anita Strang
MEALS ON WHEELS – 863-299-1616
MUSEUM OF WINTER HAVEN HISTORY – 600 Pope Ave NW
NAACP – 863-682-8879
NEIGHBORHOOD SERVICE/SENIOR CENTER – 608 Ave S NE 863-294-5860
NEWS CHIEF – 888-431-7323
NORA MAYO HALL (Inside Florida Citrus Building) – 863-297-3900
- US SENATE
- Marco Rubio (R) – 202-224-3041
- Rick Scott (R) – 202-224-5274
- US House
- Darren Soto (D) – 202-225-9889
- FL SENATE
- Ben Albritton (R) – 863-534-0073
- Coleen Burton (R) – 850-413-1529
- FL HOUSE
- Paul Rennar (R) – 850-717-5019 / 386-446-7644
POLK STATE COLLEGE – 863-297-1000
- Dr. Angela Garcia Falconetti, President
- 999 Avene H NE
- Central Avenue – 863-299-7824 or 800-275-8777
- Florence Villa (1st Street) – 863-293-5370
POLK COUNTY PROBATION OFFICE – 863-401-2410
POLK PROPERTY APPRAISER/ASSESSMENTS – 863-534-4777 or 863-401-2400
RIDGE ART ASSOCIATION – 863-291-5661 or 863-289-6477
- Christy Hemenway – email@example.com
RITZ THEATER – 863-937-1414
SCHOOL BOARD OF POLK COUNTY – 863-534-0500
SIX/TEN – 863-299-1195
SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE – 1395 Havendale Boulevard 800-772-1213
SOUTH FLORIDA WATER MANAGEMENT DISTRICT (SWFMD) – 863-462-5260
SUPERVISOR OF ELECTIONS (Polk County) – 863-534-5888
TAG AGENCY – 300 Avenue M NW 863-293-4724 or 863-293-5551
TAX COLLECTOR (Polk County) – 916 N Massachusetts Ave, Lakeland 863-534-4700
THEATRE WINTER HAVEN – 863-294-7469
UNEMPLOYMENT (SEE CAREER SOURCE POLK) – 863-508-1100
- American Legion – 300 Avenue M NW 863-293-7029
- DAV (Disabled American Veterans) – 407-846-4141
- VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) – 2441 7th Street SW – 863-293-7469
- Veterans Administration – 2437 Pipkin Rd S 863-701-2470
WINTER HAVEN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE – 401 Ave B NW 863-293-2138
- President & CEO – Sara Beth Wyatt
WINTER HAVEN ECONOMIC DEVEOPMENT COUNCIL (WHEDC) – 150 3RD Street SW Suite 206 – 863-837-5280
- President – Bruce Lyon
WINTER HAVEN HOSPITAL – 863-293-1121
WOMANS RESOURCE CENTER – 165 Avenue A NW 863-294-5318