ELECTION INFORMATION CENTER
Welcome to the City of Winter Haven Election Information Center. The information contained on this page is intended to familiarize City Commission candidates, campaign treasurers, and residents with upcoming election information.
Per the City of Winter Haven Charter, elections for City Commission occur in odd-numbered years on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. (If a Run-Off election is needed, it would occur the first Tuesday in December.)
The City Clerk serves as the supervisor of elections for all City elections and is the official qualifying officer for candidates seeking elected office within the City of Winter Haven.
Qualifications to become a candidate:
- U.S. citizen & resident of Florida
- Registered voter in Florida (you must be at least 18) & a registered voter in Polk County
- Reside in the City limits of Winter Haven at the time of qualifying
IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES:
Regular Election – Tuesday, November 2, 2021 (Polls open 7am-7pm)
Run-Off Election (If needed) – Tuesday, December 7, 2021 (Polls open 7am-7pm)
COMMISSION SEATS UP FOR ELECTION:
Seat No. 4 – Currently held by Mayor Bradley T. Dantzler (UNOPPOSED, therefore, will not be on the ballot)
Seat No. 5 – Currently held by Commissioner James H. “J.P.” Powell
- Terms are 4 years
Began Monday, September 13, 2021 at NOON
Ended Friday, September 17, 2021 at NOON
As of July 6, 2021, the qualifying fee for the November 2, 2021 Election is $50.00 + $127.93 (Qualifying fee and 1% of the position’s annual salary.)
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT:
⇒ James H. “J.P.” Powell – Seat No. 5
⇒ Matthew Logan Crowley – Seat No. 5
2021 Municipal Candidate Packets are available. To obtain a copy (electronic version also available), please contact the City Clerk’s Office.
SAMPLE BALLOT WITH QUALIFIED CANDIDATES:
POLLING & PRECINCT INFORMATION:
LOGIC AND ACCURACY TEST:
Tuesday, October 26, 2021, at 3:00 p.m. at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center. The Public is welcome to attend.
70 Florida Citrus Blvd.
Winter Haven, Florida 33880
(NOTE: This L & A public notice is published by the Supervisor of Elections under their “Public Notices” section here: https://www.polkelections.com/)
CANVASSING BOARD MEETINGS:
- Canvassing Board Meeting for City Clerk to give a report on vote by mail ballots requested, issued, and returned and request permission of the Canvassing Board to start processing the ballots determined valid – Monday, November 1, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. at Winter Haven City Hall – John Fuller Auditorium.
- Canvassing of Vote by Mail & Provisional Ballots – Tuesday, November 2, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center.
- Random Precinct Selection & Certify Election Results – Friday, November 5, 2021 at Winter Haven City Hall – John Fuller Auditorium.
- Post-Election Audit – Tuesday, November 9, 2021, at 3:30 p.m. at the Polk County Supervisor of Elections Operations Center.
LINKS TO HELPFUL INFORMATION:
- Specific City of Winter Haven Election Information (Not yet available)
- Polk County Supervisor of Elections
- Florida Commission on Ethics
- Florida Division of Elections
- City of Winter Haven Code of Ordinances
To register to vote, make changes to your voter registration, obtain due dates, and other information, please contact the Polk County Supervisor of Elections at 863-534-5888 or www.polkelections.com. Printed applications are available at both Polk County Supervisor of Elections offices, City of Winter Haven City Hall, and at local post offices and libraries.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IT IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE THE CITY CLERK’S OFFICE TO INTERPRET FLORIDA STATUTES CONTAINED WITHIN FLORIDA LAW. FOR ANY INTERPRETATION OF THE LAW OR FOR A LEGAL OPINION, CONTACT THE FLORIDA DIVISION OF ELECTIONS AT (850) 245-6200.
Vanessa Castillo, BAS, MMC
|City Clerkfirstname.lastname@example.orgOffice: 863-291-5600|
Joanna Abernathy, MPA, MMC
|Deputy City Clerk/Records Administratoremail@example.comOffice: 863-291-5600|