The Florida League of Cities encourages Cities throughout the state to take part in promoting municipal government during Florida City Government Week. As part of this celebration, the City of Winter Haven is hosting an essay contest. Teachers are encouraged to have students prepare essays for submission. Essays will be submitted electronically to the City of Winter Haven Communications Department Director no later than October 14. Homeschool students or individual submission are welcome.
A winner for each grade level will then be selected and notified no later than October 19. Each winner will be invited to attend the October 24 City Commission meeting where they will be recognized, meet the Mayor and City Commissioners, have their photo taken, and receive a commemorative award. Principals, teachers, and family members are invited to attend the City Commission meeting with the students. All winning pieces will be placed on display in City Hall and on our website for the public to review.
Essay Theme: “If I Were Mayor”
Answer the following two questions in an essay that is 500 words or less.
- Why is Winter Haven great? What makes it special?
- What would you do to improve Winter Haven if you were mayor?
How to Participate
- Write an essay that answers the questions above in 500 words or less.
- Visit the following URL to upload the essay as a Word Document or PDF: https://seam.ly/eZSBm8pS
- Ensure the student name, teacher name, school name and contact information are completed with each submission.
- Essays are due no later than October 14, 2022.