The Solid Waste Division provides a cost-effective and efficient weekly collection system to dispose of residential, commercial and recycle refuse materials for our customers, the citizens of the City of Winter Haven.
The City of Winter Haven garbage and recycle collection schedule will be altered for the Memorial Day holiday as follows:
|Normally Scheduled Pick Up||Will Be Picked Up|
|Monday, May 28||Tuesday, May 29|
|Tuesday, May 29||Wednesday, May 30|
- Junk and yard debris will be collected a day later than normally scheduled during these holiday weeks.
Call 291-5757 with any question regarding your garbage, yard waste or recycle service.
For more information on recycling, please call Solid Waste at 863-291-5756.
NOTICES TO RESIDENTIAL GARBAGE CUSTOMERS:
Garbage household waste is collected once a week. Each resident is responsible for purchasing a City approved container. If one container is not enough to hold the garbage accumulated between collections, residents may purchase an additional container. The containers may be purchased by calling the Solid Waste Division at 863-291-5756.
Garbage household waste includes cans, bottles, containers, wrapping and packaging materials soiled with foods. Waste material must be bagged, securely tied and placed in the container with the lid closed.
GARBAGE COLLECTION GUIDELINES
- Place container(s) curbside or roadside by 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day with the container handle facing your house.
- DO NOT place the container(s) on sidewalks, streets or on the neighboring property.
- Do not place garbage in an unauthorized container. Garbage not in a City approve container will not be collected.
- Ensure the container has at least three feet of clearance from mailboxes, parked cars, utility poles, etc.
- Remove containers(s) from public view at the end of the collection day.
- To report a service problem, please call or email the Solid Waste office.
The City of Winter Haven encourages residents to reduce, reuse and recycle. Our curbside recycling service is designed to be simple. Just put all your household recyclables in your blue container and place it at the curb or edge of pavement on your scheduled collection day. Recycle containers are collected once a week. Prepare recyclables according to the instructions in the chart below. The blue containers are provided to single and multi-family residences within the City limits. The more residents participate, the greater the benefits to taxpayers.
RECYCLING COLLECTION GUIDELINES
- Place recycling container at the curb by 7 a.m. allowing at least three feet clearance between container and any other item.
- Rinse or wipe out contents of cans and bottles before recycling.
- Place materials loosely in the recycle container. Do not overfill container.
- To report service problems, please call or email the Solid Waste office.
|ITEMS TO RECYLE||WHAT TO RECYCLE||HOW TO RECYCLE|
ALUMINUM AND STEEL CANS
|Aluminum Beverage cans and steel food cans||Rinse; Place in recycle container|
|CARDBOARD||Corrugated cardboard (no wax finish) used for packing and shipping||Flatten; Place in recycle container|
|GLASS BOTTLES AND JARS||Clear, brown and green glass bottles and jars||Rinse; Place in recycle container|
|NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, TELEPHONE BOOKS AND CATALOGS||Place in recycle container,
shredded paper should be bagged
|PAPERBOARD||Cereal, shoe, and other similar boxes||Flatten; Place in recycle container|
|PLASTIC BOTTLES AND JUGS
|ONLY plastic bottles and jugs marked with a #1 – #7||Rinse; Place in recycling container|
YARD WASTE / BULK WASTE
Yard waste includes plant material such as leaves, grass clippings, branches (not to exceed 4 feet in length and 6 inches in diameter), Christmas trees, flowers, roots, wood waste and other natural material commonly thrown away in the course of maintaining yards and gardens. Weekly curbside collection of yard waste is included in the standard solid waste service fee and will be collected in a pile not to exceed 5 cubic yards. An additional fee will apply for the collection of yard waste piles larger than 5 cubic yards. Smaller yard debris, such as grass and leaves (no dirt) must be bagged. You are allowed up to 30 bags at no charge.
Curbside collection of bulk waste is provided once a week on the same scheduled day as yard waste. Bulk waste includes household discards, building materials, small and large appliances and tires.
Household discards include, but are not limited to chairs, dressers, tables, carpets, bed frames, mattresses, sofas, sinks and toilets. Fees for this service are applied to each individual item.
Building materials include, but are not limited to painted wood, plywood, composition board, doors, windows and fencing. The width or length of the materials may not exceed five feet. Most building materials will be collected; however, hazardous materials WILL NOT be collected. Fees for this service are applied per cubic yard of material.
Large appliances include, but are not limited to washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves air conditioners, dehumidifiers and water heaters. Fees for this service are applied to each individual item.
YARD/BULK WASTE COLLECTION GUIDELINES
- DO NOT mix yard waste and bulk waste. Yard waste and bulk items must be separated.
- Place yard/bulk waste near curb or pavement edge in front of your property for pick-up by 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day. Do not set out material more than three days ahead of your collection day.
- Ensure yard/bulk waste has a minimum of three feet clearance from obstacles such as parked cars utility poles, fire hydrants, mail boxes, irrigation sprinklers and waste containers.
- DO NOT place yard/bulk waste for collection on the street, sidewalk, inside garbage container or under overhead wires or low hanging trees.
GARBAGE & RECYCLING HOLIDAY SCHEUDLE
The City of Winter Haven provides services as usual on all holidays except New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Holiday schedules will be announced through the local media and City website.
The City offers a Once-A-Year Clean-Up available to residential customers who have an active garbage/utility water account and are located within the City limits. Up to 12 cubic yards (1/2 truckload) of bulk/junk is permitted at no charge. Pick-ups must be arranged in advance. Call the Solid Waste Division (863-291-5756) for more information.
If you are unable to put your garbage or recycling container out due to a physical limitation, we offer a “walk-up” service. This service is provided to any customer who may have disabilities or handicaps that prevent them from being able to roll out their container. Our staff will walk up to the residence and roll out the container, dump it and return it. To qualify, a letter provided by your physician on his/her letterhead stating your condition prevents you from rolling your container to and from the curb must be attached to the Walk-up Garbage and Recycling Service Application available through the Solid Waste Division. This information can be mailed (PO Box 2277, Winter Haven, FL 33883-2277) or faxed (863-298-7924) to the Solid Waste office.
Documents & Downloads:
- Residential Garbage Rates
- Commercial Container Prices
- Commercial Collection Permit Application
- Commercial Collection Waste Facts and Rates
- Enclosed Dumpster Ordinance
- Enclosed Dumpster Pad without Recycling Area
- Enclosed Dumpster Pad with Recycling Area
- Existing Enclosed Dumpster Pad with Added Recycling Wheel Cart
- Commercial Customer Hold Harmless Agreement