Residential Garbage Collection
Garbage household waste is collected once a week. Each residence is responsible for purchasing a City approved container. If one container is not enough to hold the garbage accumulated between collections, residents may purchase an additional container. The containers may be purchased from the Account Services Office by calling 863-291-5678 or visiting the office at 551 Third Street, NW, or by calling the Solid Waste department at 863-291-5756.
We have three container options available for residential garbage collection. The 35 gallon container holds 2-3 tall kitchen bags, the 65 gallon will hold 4-5 tall kitchen bags, and the 95 gallon will accommodate 7-8 tall kitchen bags. We encourage each residence to select the container that will best fit their needs.
Garbage Collection Guidelines
- Place container(s) curbside or roadside by 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day with your container handle facing your house.
- Garbage household waste must be bagged, securely tied, and placed in the container with the lid closed.
- DO NOT place the container(s) on sidewalks, streets, or on the neighboring property.
- Do not place additional garbage around the container or in an unauthorized container. Garbage not in a City approved container will not be collected.
- Ensure the container has at least three feet of clearance from mail boxes, parked cars, utility poles, etc.
- Remove container(s) from public view at the end of the collection day.
- To report a service problem, please call the Solid Waste department at 863-291-5756 or email SolidWaste@Mywinterhaven.com
Important: City vs. County?
We service customers inside the Winter Haven City Limits. If your garbage can is Gray, and your recycle can is Black, you are a Polk County customer and therefore not serviced by the City of Winter Haven. Please call Polk County Solid Waste and Recycling at 863.284.4319.