Hurricane Dorian has altered the collection schedule for the week of September 2, 2019. We will resume regular collection on Monday, September 9, 2019.
If you have any questions in regards to your collection, please call our solid Waste office at 863-291-5756.
Residential Garbage Collection
Garbage household waste is collected once a week. Each residence is responsible for purchasing a City approved container. If one container is not enough to hold the garbage accumulated between collections, residents may purchase an additional container. The containers may be purchased from the Account Services Office by calling 863-291-5678 or visiting the office at 551 Third Street, NW, or by calling the Solid Waste department at 863-291-5756.
We have three container options for purchase. The 35 gallon container holds 2-3 tall kitchen bags, the 65 gallon will hold 4-5 tall kitchen bags, and the 95 gallon will accommodate 7-8 tall kitchen bags. We encourage each residence to purchase the container that will best fit their needs.
Garbage Collection Guidelines
- Place container(s) curbside or roadside by 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day with your container handle facing your house.
- Garbage household waste must be bagged, securely tied, and placed in the container with the lid closed.
- DO NOT place the container(s) on sidewalks, streets, or on the neighboring property.
- Do not place additional garbage around the container or in an unauthorized container. Garbage not in a City approved container will not be collected.
- Ensure the container has at least three feet of clearance from mail boxes, parked cars, utility poles, etc.
- Remove container(s) from public view at the end of the collection day.
- To report a service problem, please call the Solid Waste department at 863-291-5756 or email SolidWaste@Mywinterhaven.com
Garbage & Recycling Holiday Schedule
The City of Winter Haven provides service as usual on all the holidays except: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), and Labor Day. Holiday schedules will be announced through our Facebook page.
Electronic and Household Hazardous Waste
City residents may dispose of unwanted electronic equipment and household hazardous waste (HHW) at the Polk County Household Hazardous Waste Day event for free, on the first Saturday of December. Electronics that will be accepted include: computers, monitors, laptops, VCR’s, televisions, cameras, microwaves, etc. HHW items that will be accepted are: paint cans, paint thinner, aerosols, fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides, car/boat batteries, motor oil, etc.
For the disposal of household hazardous waste for the other months of the year, residents can contact the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at the North Central Landfill located at 5 Environmental Loop S. in Winter Haven. They can be reached at 863-284-4319.
Important: City vs County?
We service customers inside the Winter Haven City Limits. If your garbage can is Gray, and your recycle can is Black, you are a Polk County customer and therefore not serviced by the City of Winter Haven. Please call Polk County Solid Waste and Recycling at 863.284.4319.