COVID-19: City of Winter Haven Update May 21, 2020
The City of Winter Haven is closely monitoring the impacts of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), and this page along with the City’s social media outlets are continuously updated. Thank you for your patience as the City works to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Stay well and be well.
Information from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis
On Wednesday, April 29, Governor DeSantis announced Phase 1 of the “Safe, Smart, Step-by-Step” plan for Florida’s recovery. Click HERE to read the Frequently Asked Questions.
The Governor’s full “Safe, Smart, Step-by-Step” plan presentation can be found HERE.
As we follow the Governor’s “Safe, Smart, Step-by-Step” plan for Florida’s recovery, we want to thank you for taking the necessary actions to minimize the threat of infection among our citizens. Please continue to avoid social and recreational gatherings of 10 or more people and socially distance yourselves from others by at least 6-feet. The use of face coverings/masks are recommended.
Please click HERE for the State of Florida, Office of the Governor Executive Order Number 20-91.
If you believe a licensed business is operating contrary to the Governor’s Executive Orders, please report the information to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) by clicking HERE.
CITY OF WINTER HAVEN INFORMATION
Please click HERE for an important message to our citizens from Winter Haven Mayor Brad Dantzler.
Please click HERE for information placed in City of Winter Haven utility bills regarding COVID-19 and staying healthy.
Click R-20-23 for the Resolution declaring and proclaiming a State of Emergency within the City of Winter Haven Florida due to COVID-19.
Click HERE for Parks, Recreation and Culture Department most recent opening details and updates.
As downtown Winter Haven reopens through the phased “Safe, Smart, Step-by-Step” plan, innovative parking space repurposing is implemented for visitors to use. Dine in the open air, or receive your pickup order at curbside – there are new options to choose from as you travel downtown. Click HERE for the details!
CITY ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES AND MEETINGS
City Hall remains open. City of Winter Haven administrative offices remain open for business, and staff continues to provide services to customers.
City Hall Annex located at 551 3rd St. NW is closed to the public until further notice. Departments working out of the facility, including Utility Customer Service and Human Resources, will continue to operate and provide virtual services to citizens.
City Hall East Annex Building & Engineering Divisions located at 490 3rd Street NW remains staffed, but is not accepting walk-in customers. To conduct business please call the Building Division at 863-291-5695, or the Engineering Division at 863-291-5850.
Customers are encouraged to use online services whenever possible, such as for utility billing payments and public records requests. Information and updates will also be placed on the City’s social media accounts (scroll down for link buttons), as well as this website. Please check back regularly.
City Meeting Changes and Cancellations
- Communications Media Technology (CMT) is used for public meetings during the COVID-19 Local State of Emergency. Directions to participate in public meetings through observation and formal public comments will be published for each meeting on the NEWS & UPDATES portion of the main Winter Haven website page (www.mywinterhaven.com). While all meetings will remain public, certain meetings will offer public comment opportunities. Details about participation options can be found in each meeting notice, or by calling the City Clerks office at 863-291-5600 during business hours. The public is invited to listen to or watch public meetings by visiting www.facebook.com/winterhavenflorida/ where meets will be live streamed. Formal meeting public comment is not available on Facebook Live.
- The Downtown CRA Advisory Committee and Florence Villa Advisory Committee will continue to meet at Nora Mayo Hall. All other City Advisory Committee Meetings are suspended until further notice.
- Planning Commission meeting is June 16 in Nora Mayo Hall.
- The Code Enforcement Special Magistrate meetings are held at Nora Mayo Hall for social distancing purposes.
Human Resources (HR)
The HR offices located in the City Hall Annex are closed to walk-in customers, but services and operations continue. Those with an employment application can drop it in the utility payment drop box in the parking lot. Staff is available by phone 863-291-5650 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They are ready to assist with any HR related questions or requirements in an applicant’s job search process.
Winter Haven Public Safety Department
The Police Department Records Division located inside of the lobby is closed to walk-in customers. Police reports and other records requests can be obtained by calling 863-291-5858 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Reports can be mailed, emailed or faxed to customers.
To pay a downtown parking ticket, go to www.winterhavenpd.com. Scroll to the “Online Services” area and the link for payment is on the page. A payment extension will be in place for those unable to use the online options with customers being notified of payment due once the lobby opens back up to the public.
Online reporting option for non-emergency calls include Lost/Stolen Bicycle, Criminal Mischief, Fraud/Identity Theft/Forgery, Lost/Stolen Cell Phone and Lost/Stolen Vehicle Tag or Decal. Those options are available on the website as well as the Department’s smart phone app. Click HERE for online reporting. Download the Winter Haven PD app from your smart phone app store. Please call 9-1-1 immediately should you have an emergency. For non-emergency situations, call 863-401-2256.
All Leadership Council activities for this Council session are suspended.
The next Code Enforcement Special Magistrate Hearing is June 18 in Nora Mayo Hall until further notice. Call (863)291-5697 for information.
All City Fire Station lobbies are closed to the public. If you are in need of any of the following services please call the numbers below (Monday – Friday) to make a request or schedule an appointment.
- Fire or incident reports (please provide the date and address of the incident). All reports will be either mailed or e-mailed. Call (863) 291-5677.
- If you are in need of fire prevention inspections, fire plan reviews, emergency plan reviews or BTR reviews please call the Fire Marshal at (863) 291-5692.
The Winter Haven Fire Department has suspended public education programs until further notice. Additionally, non-essential fire inspections will be suspended. Winter Haven firefighters continue to respond to all 9-1-1 calls. Fire personnel are taking extra precautions by wearing additional protective gear. Anyone with questions is urged to call the Fire Department Administrative line at 863-291-5677.
Public Safety staff undergoes regular medical surveillance to make certain personnel are not displaying symptoms of sickness. The Public Safety Department is prepared with contingency plans to address various situations that could be brought about by COVID-19.
Parks, Recreation and Culture Department
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the City of Winter Haven has suspended all athletic activities, special events, classes and city facility rentals.
City parks, facilities, boat ramps and operations are opening with a phased approach. Click HERE for a list of public facilities and parks along with the dates each one will reopen. This phased approach remains adjustable should issues occur affecting the health and well-being of the community. Continue to follow social distancing practices. Please do not place yourself in a large gathering. Enjoy the facilities while respecting the health of others.
Please contact the Parks, Recreation and Culture Department at 291-5656 for further information regarding events, athletics classes, rentals and facility closures.
Winter Haven Public Library
The Winter Haven Public Library is closed until June 5.
- Due dates for items currently out will be extended to June 1.
- No fines will be assessed during this period.
- All bookings for the meeting room, SEEDLab, study rooms and the sensory room are cancelled.
- All library programs, events and classes are cancelled.
Need something to read, watch, or listen to online? Register for a library card online!
Already have a card but just misplaced it? Forgot your PIN number? Registered online and need to convert your temporary card for full privileges? Staff can assist Monday-Friday from 9-5 via email at email@example.com.
City Water Department Information
- Plant and field operations remain open 24/7.
The Utility Customer Service Operations office in the City Hall Annex is closed, but services continue as follows:
To make a payment, customers can:
- Mail –Winter Haven Utilities Office, PO Box 2277, Winter Haven, FL 33883
- Utility Bill Drop Box located in the City Hall Annex parking lot
- Online Utility Portal – https://wh2o.mywinterhaven.com/portal/
- Mobile App – download “WH2o” in Google Play or Apple Store
- 24HR Interactive Voice Response (1-855-270-3592) – allows customers to make payment anytime with credit or debit card. Customers can also pay by entering their checking account information.
To submit an application for new service or to transfer service:
- Applications for new utility accounts are located on line at https://www.mywinterhaven.com/utilities/about/account-services/start-or-stop-services/ and can be completed and electronically emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 863-298-7870, or placed in the drop box in the parking lot located at 551 3rd St. NW.
NOTE: Service disconnects for non-payment and late fees have been temporarily suspended for 60 days.
Please contact us with Utility Service questions at 863-291-5678.
Should a business need to make scheduling adjustments to the solid waste service, please reach out to our Solid Waste office at 863-291-5756 or by email to SolidWaste@Mywinterhaven.com.
Solid waste collection services continue as scheduled. Solid waste collection loads are heavier than usual, which causes delays in collection. We ask you to be patient as crews work hard to keep up with the volume.
Department of Economic Opportunity and Community Investment
Building & Engineering Divisions located at 490 3rd Street NW remain open for business. However, to ensure the safety of our customers and staff we are no longer taking walk in customers. All necessary applications and forms can be found in a box outside the door. Place your completed application and/or form in the box, and they will be collected for processing. The customer will then be contacted and payments will be taken over the phone (via credit card or check). To contact the Building Division please call 863-291-5695. To contact the Engineering Division please call 863-291-5850.
The next Planning Commission meeting is June 16 at Nora Mayor Hall at 6 p.m.
Winter Haven Regional Airport
Effective May 4, the following updated policy/procedures related to the City of Winter Haven’s function of the Airport Administration Office and Fixed-Based-Operator (FBO) located at the airport terminal are:
- The FBO main terminal landside entrance (Vehicular parking lot) will be unlocked and available for entry and exit during business hours.
- The Airport Administration Office will be available preferably by telephone and e-mail; however, walk-in meetings will be permitted. Separation distancing between customers and employees will continue per CDC guidance.
- Self-service fuel points will be the preferred method of refueling; however, line refueling services will be available using proper personal protective equipment for line staff. We request that customers continue to practice social distancing (Six (6) feet or more) while the line service technicians are present. Self-service fuel points will continue to be cleaned and the portable restroom and hand-washing station will remain in place.
- Hours of operation for the FBO will remain 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., seven (7) days a week. The Administration Office will also maintain regular hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- The Flightline Café is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
City Electronic Resources
Information and updates will be placed on this site as well as the City’s social media accounts (links below). Please check back regularly.
Awareness, Prevention and Additional Resource Information
Please click the buttons below for notices provided by the Center for Disease Control explaining the coronavirus and flu, and what we can do to reduce the potential for contracting or transmitting respiratory disease.
Click Center for Disease Control (CDC) to learn more about COVID-19 and staying healthy.
Polk County resident COVID-19 rental assistance: Call the Homeless Coalition of Polk County at (863) 687-8386.
Below are various links to COVID-19 related resources.
Some outside entities offering free community meals (Dates, times and conditions may change). This is not an endorsement, but a resource. All agencies providing services should follow CDC guidelines and the State of Florida Governor’s Executive Orders.:
- The Mission, 180 E Central Ave: Mon-Fri 11:45 a.m. – 1 p.m., plus food pantry services
- First Presbyterian Church, 637 6th St NW: Saturdays 4-5:30 p.m. plus daily bag lunch services
- St Matthews Catholic Church at Regenerations, 197 W Central Ave.: Thursdays 5 p.m. and Sundays 12:30 pm
- First Church of the Nazarene, 560 3rd St SW: Wednesday 5:30 p.m.; Sunday 8 a.m.; Tuesday 7 p.m.; Friday 7 p.m.