Community Resources and Information
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) understanding symptoms and how to protect yourself. CDC hotline: 800-232-4636 (operating 24/7)
- World Health Organization Situation Reports (WHO)
- Florida Department of Health COVID-19 information and data portal
- Call center:1-866-779-6121 (operating 24/7)
- Email address: COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org
- Florida COVID-19 cases and data from the Florida Department of Health
- Polk County Division Florida Department of Health
- Veterans Affairs COVID-19 response plan
- VA Sunshine Healthcare Network (VISN 8) Veterans who are concerned they may have symptoms of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) flu or cold are encouraged to contact the VISN 8 Clinical Contact Center at 1-877-741-3400 (toll free).
- Contact the Polk County Florida Department of Health information center at 863-519-7911 Monday-Friday 8 am – 5 pm.
COVID-19 Testing Locations in Polk County
- Central Florida Health Care, Inc.
- Lakeland Regional Health
- Watson Clinic – High-risk patients are prioritized for testing; criteria and more info on their website.
Employment and Unemployment Benefits
- CONNECT apply online for unemployment benefits from Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (FDOE). Florida’s Reemployment Assistance Program. Call 800-204-2418.
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance(PUA) available for those ineligible for the Florida unemployment benefits.
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance Guide
- Call 833-352-7759 for assistance
- Reemployment Assistance Resource Guide(updated May 9, 2020)
- Printable paper mail-in application (printed copies are also available at the library near the book drop)
- Employ Florida
- Career Source Polk
- Job search resources from FloridaJobs.org
- City of Winter Haven Employment Opportunities
- Polk County Employment Opportunities
Health Insurance and Other Medical Assistance
- Affordable Care Act Marketplace Special Enrollment Period from Covering Central Florida. This is an option for anyone losing employer-based health insurance. Enrollment must be completed within 60 days of a loss of coverage.
- Marketplace coverage & Coronavirus from Healthcare.gov
- Polk County Health Care Plan The Polk HealthCare Plan (PHP) is for those who are caught in the gap between not qualifying for Medicaid or Medicare, and not being able to afford marketplace insurance.
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19
- National Association of Mental Illness COVID-19 Resource Guide
- Crisis Text Line Text HOME to 741741 to chat with a crisis counselor for free (operating 24/7)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline call or text to (800) 273-8255. Services for Spanish speakers and deaf and hard of hearing individuals as well.
- ACCESS Florida(SNAP, TANF, Medicaid) Florida Department of Children and Families. Program provides a website to apply for ACCESS benefits (SNAP benefits-food stamp assistance, Medicaid, and TANF benefits-temporary cash assistance) online or over-the-phone. Help line: 850-300-4323
- Salvation Army of Winter Haven
- Meals on Wheels Polk County
- Winter Haven Food Pantry
532 Ave. M. NW.
Winter Haven, FL 33881
Open Monday through Friday, 9-11 a.m.
- United Way Food Distribution locations & schedule for Winter Haven
- First Mission Baptist Church
200 Ave. R N.W., Winter Haven
Every second and fourth Friday at 11 a.m.
- The Way Church
1302 33rd St. N.W., Winter Haven
Every second and fourth Saturday at 10 a.m.
- Wahneta Elementary School
Starting May 15
205 Wahenta St. E., Winter Haven
Every first and third Friday at 11 a.m.
- First Mission Baptist Church
- Rental Assistance – Homeless Coalition of Polk County
Rental assistance is currently available for qualified residents who have lost their, jobs or had an impact to their income due to COVID-19, by contacting the Homeless Coalition of Polk County at (863) 687-8386.
- Polk County Housing and Neighborhood Development
- Polk CARES 2020 Polk County’s Board of County Commissioners has approved a plan that will help residents and small business owners left struggling financially from COVID-19 pandemic layoffs and business closures.
- Federal Housing Finance Agency provides options for postponing mortgage payments for those affected by the coronavirus.
- United Way of Central Florida COVID-19 Resources
For referrals for health, financial and crisis needs:
Chat online with a United Way representative
Text your zip code to 898-211
- Economic Impact Payment
- Community Action Agency nonprofit private and public organizations supporting Polk County to fight America’s War on Poverty.
- FLDEO Rebuilding Florida Businesses
- Florida Disaster Loan fact sheet
- Business Disaster Recovery Assistance
- SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan
- Paycheck Protection Program
- Coronavirus Emergency Loans
- Unemployment Insurance
- Florida Taxes Taxpayers adversely affected by COVID-19 are encouraged to send questions to COVID19TAXHELP@floridarevenue.com or call (850) 488–6800.
- OSHA and COVID-19
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Microloans for small businesses
- National Council of Nonprofits
- Florida Nonprofit Alliance