How to Register for a Library Card
- Register in person at any Polk County Library
- If you’d like, you may start the application online. Applying online will give you a temporary card number and allow you to place holds, but you will still need to visit the library with proper ID to receive your card or use Library services and resources.
Resident Membership Requirements
- Membership is free.
- Must reside in Polk County.
- Requires valid photo ID with current address.
- If the photo ID is current, but with an old address, documentation is required to provide proof of current Polk County, Florida address such as: current utility bill, local personal checkbook, car registration, voter registration card, or property tax receipt.
- Children under the age of 12 must have a parent or legal guardian accompany them at the time of application to assume responsibility for materials borrowed child’s card.
- Students may qualify for a library card with proof of enrollment and photo ID.
Polk County Public Schools, the Lake Wales Charter Schools, Cypress Junction Montessori Charter School, Berkley Accelerated Middle Charter School and the Polk County Library Cooperative have partnered to provide free access to library materials and online resources for Polk County students!
With a PLUS Card, students can:
- Borrow up to 5 books from all 15 public libraries in Polk County, and the PCLC Bookmobile, Vending Library at the Outpost 27 Visitor’s Center in Davenport or use home delivery through Books by Mail.
- Utilize the online learning platform LinkedIn Learning
- Create presentations, conduct research and type papers using public library computers.
- Enjoy digital titles in books, audiobooks, music, magazines, movies and television.
Students use their student ID number for their library card number and PIN to checkout books, download digital titles, or access online learning resources. No physical card is issued and the PLUS account is not associated with any other library card or account. Students may have a PLUS Card in addition to a standard PCLC library card. How to Login to your PLUS account
Non-Resident Membership Requirements
- Cost: $35 per year
- Available to non-residents of Polk County
- Requires a valid ID
Reciprocal Borrowing Privilege Requirements
- Free with a valid ID and a library card from a reciprocal borrowing library.
Library Card Benefits
- As a member of the Polk County Library Cooperative, Winter Haven library cards may be used at any Polk County Library.
- Library cards are valid for 3 years. To renew, just stop into any Polk County Library and provide your current address, phone number and email address.
- Can check out for 2 weeks: books, books on CD, Playaways, music CDs, T-Mobile HotSpots, Kindles pre-loaded with popular titles.
- Can check out for 1 week: DVDs (Genres include: feature movies, documentaries, travel, exercise, and how-to.)
- Check out for inside library use only: Chromebook laptops.
- Access to public computers.
- Access to Libby/Overdrive providing digital ebooks, eaudiobooks, magazines and movies.
- LinkedIn Learning providing over 16,000 video courses taught by industry experts in software, creative, and business skills.
- AtoZdatabases providing access to information on businesses, job searching, mailing list & sales leads, free email services, and background checks.
- Rocket Languages providing tutorials on 13 languages.