How to Register for a Library Card
- Register in person at any Polk County Library
- If you’d like, you may start the application online. Applying online will give you a temporary card number and allow you to place holds, but you will still need to visit the library with proper ID to receive your card or use Library services and resources.
Apply for a Library Card
Resident Membership Requirements
- Membership is free.
- Must reside in Polk County.
- Requires valid photo ID with current address.
- If the photo ID is current, but with an old address, documentation is required to provide proof of current Polk County, Florida address such as: current utility bill, local personal checkbook, car registration, voter registration card, or property tax receipt.
- Children under the age of 12 must have a parent or legal guardian accompany them at the time of application to assume responsibility for materials borrowed child’s card.
- Students may qualify for a library card with proof of enrollment and photo ID.
Non-Resident Membership Requirements
- Cost: $35 per year
- Available to non-residents of Polk County
- Requires a valid ID
Reciprocal Borrowing Privilege Requirements
- Free with a valid ID and a library card from a reciprocal borrowing library.
Participating Florida Libraries
Lost Library Cards
- Library cards can be replaced for $1.00. Valid ID required.
- Library card holders must keep their fine balance under $10 to continue the use of their card. Fines must be paid in full to resume use.
Library Card Benefits
- As a member of the Polk County Library Cooperative, Winter Haven library cards may be used at any Polk County Library.
- Library cards are valid for 3 years. To renew, just stop into any Polk County Library and provide your current address, phone number and email address.
- Can check out for 2 weeks: books, books on CD, Playaways, music CDs, T-Mobile HotSpots, Kindles pre-loaded with popular titles.
- Can check out for 1 week: DVDs (Genres include: feature movies, documentaries, travel, exercise, and how-to.)
- Check out for inside library use only: Chromebook laptops.
- Access to public computers.
- Access to Overdrive providing digital ebooks, eaudiobooks, and movies.
- Lynda.com (available to Winter Haven Public Library cardholders only)
- RBDigital’s magazines. Magazines can be downloaded and with no return date. They’re yours to keep!
- AtoZdatabases providing access to information on businesses, job searching, mailing list & sales leads, free email services, and background checks.
- Rocket Languages providing tutorials on 13 languages.