Members of the Council will experience hands-on activities over the course of the ten weeks while gaining a much better understanding of what it takes to operate a Municipal Police Department. The Council consists of approximately 20 members who serve voluntarily and meet bi-monthly with Public Safety Director Bird, Chief Brannan and agency members for a total of ten session.
Activities for the Council include:
- Experience hands-on scenarios
- Participate in activities at the Burnam-McCall Training Facility
- Tour the Polk County Jail, Booking Facility and meet with court officials
- Ride with Winter Haven Police and Fire for a shift
- Spend time at the Polk County Sheriff’s Emergency Communications Center (9-1-1)
Applications are accepted during the months of October and November with the Council starting the end of January each year. Notification of application submission is sent our through media and social media outlets beginning in October.
A PDF version of the application to print is below. If you would like a fill-in WORD document emailed to you, please send an email request to email@example.com
For more information, contact Jamie Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (863) 291-6178