Members of the Council will experience hands-on activities over the course of the six weeks while gaining a much better understanding of what it takes to operate a Municipal Police Department. The Council consists of approximately 20 members who serve voluntarily and meet bi-monthly with Chief Bird and agency members for a total of eight meetings.
Activities for the Council include:
- Experience hands-on scenarios
- Participate in activities at the Burnam-McCall Training Facility
- Tour the Polk County Jail, Booking Facility and meet with court officials
- Ride with a Winter Haven Police Officer for a shift
- Spend time at the Polk County Sheriff’s Emergency Communications Center (9-1-1)
Applications are accepted during the months of October and November with the Council starting the end of January each year. Notification of application submission is sent our through media and social media outlets beginning in October.
For more information, contact Jamie Brown at email@example.com or call (863) 291-5858, ext. 2351