Do You Have What It Takes?
The Winter Haven Police Department employs 92 Police Officers and 33 civilian support personnel. To maintain the highest level of efficiency, we incorporate state of the art equipment with on-going innovative in-house training programs.
If you feel you are a candidate that can support our Mission, Purpose and Core Values and Beliefs, a law enforcement career with the Winter Haven Police Department offers a challenging and exciting opportunity. We have a very active Reserve Unit as well.
Candidates for Police Officer are chosen from a competitive field of applicants based on test scores, assessments and a rigorous background investigation.
The City of Winter Haven is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A career at the Winter Haven Police Department garners a vast array of benefits.
Law enforcement continues to offer exciting career opportunities in light of the ever changing needs of our diverse community. To keep pace with these challenges, we are looking for qualified, career-minded men and women for both civilian and sworn positions.
Benefits for Winter Haven Police Department members include:
- Vacation – 12 days first year, increasing with tenure
- Holidays – 11 days per year
- Sick Leave – 1 day per month with buy-back option
- Personal Days – 3 per year (from Sick Leave)
- Sick Leave Pool
- Health Insurance to include Dental and Medical
- Life Insurance
- Police Pension Plan with DROP and PLOP Provisions
- Civilian Retirement – Defined Contribution plan
- Education Incentive: Associate’s Degree: $360.00 (Annually); Bachelor’s Degree: $960.00 (Annually)
- Paid Tuition Educational Foundation Opportunities
- City Education Reimbursement Plan
- Career Development Classes: $1440.00
- Take Home Vehicle (sworn personnel; after probation and must reside in Polk County or county of residence is contiguous with Polk County and is within a one-hour driving distance of the City of Winter Haven city limits)
- Officer First Class Program – (sworn personnel) $1,500 paid annually in a lump sum after serving 5 years full time continuously
- Master Officer Program – (sworn personnel) $3,000 paid annually in a lump sum after serving 10 years full time continuously
- Off Duty Detail Pay (sworn personnel; varies)
- Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- Uniform Cleaning Services
- Shoe Allowance – Members required to wear safety shoes ($125 per fiscal year)
- Full Function Gym to be used either on-duty or off-duty
- Annual City Health Fairs
- Service Awards
Do you think you have what it takes to be a member of the Winter Haven Police Department?
The Winter Haven Police Department offers great career opportunities in the field of law enforcement. Whether you are wanting to become a sworn member or have what it takes to be in a support role as a civilian member, your talents could be just what we need.
- Must be nineteen(19) years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must possess a United States high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- Must not have received a dishonorable or undesirable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States
- Must be in good physical condition
- Be of good moral character; no felony arrest(s) or misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, perjury or false statements and must not have been convicted of a crime involving domestic violence
- Must pass a medical examination as required by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Must pass psychological screening program
- Must undergo a background investigation including polygraph examination
- Will be tested for controlled substances prior to employment and may be tested for controlled substances during employment in this classification
- Must complete our hiring process
- Florida Police Academy Graduate
- Pass the Florida State Law Enforcement Examination
- High school graduate or GED
- 18 years old
- Honorable discharge, if a veteran
- Pass a background investigation
- Pass an Oral Review Board
- Pass a drug test
To view all job openings, please visit the City of Winter Haven job opportunities page.
The application for police officer can be downloaded and must be turned in at the City of Winter Haven Human Resources Division, located at 551 3rd St NW.
Contact Personnel Selection at (863) 291-5858, ext. 2243 or send an email for more information.