winter-haven-w help-circle
News

News Releases

Downtown Building Evacuated For Noxious Fumes

Posted December 31st, 2018

Downtown Winter Haven Building Briefly Evacuated Today

On Saturday, 12/29/18 at 11:50 a.m., the Winter Haven Fire Department along with Polk County Haz Mat responded to 27 3rd St NW to a reported smoke smell. Once on scene, it was determined that there were fumes that were starting to make patrons in the building sick.  Winter Haven Police assisted with closing down Central Ave. between 2nd St NW and 4th St NW.

After a thorough investigation, it was determined that there was a mixture of cleaning agents that created a noxious gas. Gas monitors were deployed for the building and nothing harmful was found. Ventilation was conducted in an abundance of precaution. The all clear was given and the building and surrounding areas were reopened at approximately 1:15 p.m.

One person was transported to the hospital complaining of respiratory issues and another citizen who is pregnant responded to the hospital on their own accord to be evaluated.